Sydney Markets has undergone remarkable transformation since its humble beginnings over 200 years ago on the wharves of Sydney. Today, Sydney Markets is recognised internationally for its world-class fresh produce and community markets. These markets play a significant role in the horticultural industry, and the economy of New South Wales and Australia.
A "One-Stop Shop"
Sydney Markets offers choice, with an extensive range of produce and merchandise variety, quality and price. It has the infrastructure to maximise time efficiencies and minimise cost for trading and distribution. Sydney Markets is a "one-stop-shop" with produce, packaging, exporters, providores, food processors, warehouses, unloading services, cafés and agricultural supplies all on site. Industry associations, banks, shops, a post office, commercial offices and other goods and services are also available in the Sydney Markets Plaza, the business and shopping centre at Flemington.
Sydney Produce Market, Sydney Flower Market and Sydney Growers Market comprise more than 700 businesses that sell fresh fruit, vegetables and cut flowers supplied by over 20,000 local and interstate growers. All grades of produce are sold at the markets, offering the best deal possible on fresh produce and cut flowers for a wide variety of uses.
The fresh produce markets service independent retailers, supermarket chains, florists, providores, exporters, food processors, restaurants and caterers, and are the only wholesale markets in Australia to allow access to the general public. As Australia's leading produce markets, they have become the price barometer for fruit, vegetables and flowers in Australia.
Sydney Produce Market® is the largest fresh fruit and vegetable wholesale market in Australia and one of the largest in the world. This market primarily caters to professional buyers from supermarkets, restaurants, greengrocers, exporters and food processors.
Sydney Flower Market® is Australia's largest flower market. An extensive range of fresh cut flowers is sold here by a diverse group of growers
Sydney Growers Market® provides a daily outlet for growers to sell their own fruit, vegetables and herbs grown and harvested on their farms within the Sydney basin.
QUICK MARKET FACTS & STATISTICS
- Largest wholesale fruit, vegetable and flower markets in Australia and one of the largest food distribution centres in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Sydney Markets at Flemington spans 42 hectares
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week operation.
- An estimated 2,500,000 tonnes of fresh fruit and vegetables, valued at $3 billion, are sold through Sydney Produce Market and Sydney Growers Market annually.
- Approximately $100 million of fresh produce is exported from Sydney Markets annually.
- Over $150 million of fresh flowers are sold through the Sydney Flower Market annually.
- Approximately 106 Wholesalers, 260 Produce Growers, 180 Flower Growers-Sellers, 60 Providores, 6 Exporters and over 130 supporting businesses are located on site at Flemington.
- Approximately 1,500 traders operate within the various community markets at Flemington and Haymarket.
- Sydney Markets supplies thousands of retailers, providores, florists and food processors on a daily basis.
- 500 semi-trailers and trucks unload here each night.
- Around 140,000 customers are attracted to the community markets each week.
- There is excellent access to all markets by public and private transport.
- More than 5,000 people work in businesses at Sydney Markets.
- Sydney Markets recycles up to 70% of waste generated on site